Importance of Pool Filters
As I mentioned above a pool filter is an essential part of equipment in a swimming pool. Pool filters clean all the possible dirt in the water making the water clean and hygiene for you to step into the pool. Would you ever step into a pool with dirty water that would be unpleasant to look and harmful for your health? You would never do that, and that is why the role of a pool filter is quite essential.
There are three main types of pool filters, namely; sand pool filter, cartridge pool filter and the diatomaceous earth pool filter. Now let us go through one by one and see how each one works.
Sand filters are cylinder-shaped filters where the water gets purified as they flow through the sand. Though a sand filter might be expensive initially, it is always easy when coming to the maintenance. Now let us see how a sand filter works.
- First, the dirty water enters the distribution head of the tank through the inlet pipe of the filter.
- Then the water inside the tank goes through specialised sand where the debris gets removed.
- Finally, the water is sent back to the pool again.
You can clean a cartridge filter without backwashing, and that makes cartridge filters a popular choice among pool owners. It saves the time spent on backwashing as well as the additional effort and water too. The cartridge filter can trap impurities that are up to 10 microns. Now let’s see how a cartridge filter works.
- First, the water goes into a somewhat larger tank with polyester or pleated which has covered the entire interior of the container.
- The impurities get strained out by these cartridges inside the tank where the contaminants are left on the outside of the cartridge, and the clean water gets collected in the centre.
- Then finally the fresh water at the centre is sent back to the swimming pool
Diatomaceous earth (DE) filter
Diatomaceous earth is a sedimentary rock which is formed with diatoms. Diatomaceous earth is often considered as harmful to the environment so you should the inherently careful when cleaning a diatomaceous earth filter. Diatomaceous earth is the most effective filter among the three pool filters since they trap impurities which are low as 3 to 5 microns. Now, let’s see how a diatomaceous earth filter works.
- The diatomaceous earth powder made of diatoms is what makes the diatomaceous earth filter work.
- The diatomaceous earth powder is capable of absorbing the impurities in the water. It traps both the dirt and debris in the water that flows through the filter.
- Then the debris and the dirt will be sifted by a simmer box.
- Finally, the filtered water gets pumped back to the swimming pool.